Heads of Planning Scotland (HOPS) is the representative organisation for senior planning officers from Scotland’s 32 local authorities, 2 national park authorities and 4 strategic development planning authorities.
The primary purpose of HOPS is to:
- Promote the profile of public sector land use planning
- Support and promote excellence in planning and planning leadership
- Ensure the delivery of a culture of continuous improvement in planning authorities
- Provide advocacy and coordination to ensure that planning authorities are properly resourced to deliver quality outcomes.
- Represent the collective and majority views of Scottish planning authorities in responding to national consultations, recognising that individual authorities may submit their own individual response.
- Carry out research and survey work with the assistance of Scottish planning authorities.
- Work towards a planning system which is simplified and streamlined, adequately resourced and fit for purpose
HOPS has an Executive Committee which oversees its activities, supported by four sub-committees (Development Management; Development Planning; Performance & Practice; Energy & Resources).